Friday, October 13, 2006

OMG so fun

Argghh why are some prosecutors so annoying? I've nothing against strongly-opinionated people, but when one of those opinions is "I'm on the right side" - well, I automatically bristle. That sentiment comes a lot from evangelists and prosecutors alike (are they very different!), and yesterday I had the opportunity to witness those two careers bundled up in one person - an Assistant State Attorney.

Our school held a Crim Law Panel during lunch - ye olde cross-wearing "God bless you" Prosecutor, a PD, and a private defense attorney. I ended up taking a lot of notes because some of the things being said (verbally and non-verbally) was just . . . wow.

Miss Prossy must've applied her face with a trowel, and smiled - constantly, insincerely - with her eyes half closed. She kept touching the PD's shoulder in a manner that to some must have seemed encouraging, but to me it was very controlling. She touched him every time she expected him to pipe up with a retort, and lo and behold yon PD stayed silent. He's had to deal with a lot of irritating stuff in his career, though, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, she quickly "took control" of the panel, smiling at her little pets sprinkled throughout the crowd, mentioning their names and their current pro bono or CLI positions every chance she could get, calling them "my young lawyers", going on about how she is "den mother for the police office".

The whole thing reminded me of Prom. And two of her "boys", "Dusty" and "Rabe" (changed a bit), truly lounged in their chairs, in their spotlight, smiling and making little jokes amongst themselves, Miss Prossy giving them permissions here and there to enjoy and laugh. As a female, I was totally grossed out. As a future PD, I was enraged. How totally grody!!

But I won me my shadowing opportunity, yay! With the PD, bien sur. When they called out my name (it had been a raffle), I couldn't help but yelp in happiness. Miss Prossy looked at me and said, "You want to be a PD?" and, of course, being in the moment, I simply cried, "You bet!!!!" and whooped it up. But now I've had time to think about it, what did she mean by that?!?! I mean, she specifically was surprised. I wonder why. And I'm hesitant to flatter or degrade myself. Oh well whatever I am so so excited!!!!!!

oh ps I just had the best sandiwch in the entire world - avocado and sauerkraut. It sounds beyond disgusting but is actually h e a v e n, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe G said...

About that surprise:

Surprise that you want to be a P.D. (grody!)?

Surprise that someone like yourself wants to be a P.D.? (you can do better)

Surprise that anyone anywhere isn't a manipulative, cold-hearted, anti-justice fan of "Justice" whose idea of Christian charity is locking up those with bad counsel, bad facts, or bad law. Not that I have anything against enforcing laws... I just can't see how a Christian could do it. And not be a CHINO, I mean. Turn the other cheek, anyone?

2:45 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

She touched him every time she expected him to pipe up with a retort, and lo and behold yon PD stayed silent.

He should have piped up and shut her up.

8:07 PM  
Blogger ACS said...

Yeah, I wouldn't have remained silent. Maybe he was showcasing how important it is to remain silent in the face of the government?

8:53 PM  
Blogger i heart public defense said...

i like to think he was exercising that infamous "patience of Jove" - like he was dismissing her, ignoring her. He had better things to do.

I like to think, anyway.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home