Friday, October 13, 2006

fur-en peoples

Right now on Court TV, a French (I think) prosecutor is cross-examining an expert. His accent is quite luscious. Like almost all Americans, accents send little shivers of excitement through me body. But I have to wonder at the effect of these accents in situations other than, say, al fresco dining in the city on a cool summer night.

For instance, as the prosecutor continued his questions, I found myself simply listening to his accent. A couple of seconds later, I realized I had no idea what he'd asked. And then, as I tried to listen harder, I couldn't really understand what he was saying. The witness found this troubling, too. You could see it on his face.

Knowing nothing about jury considerations, what is the usual benefit/risk of employing an accented prosecutor? Does the jury automatically attach authority and credibility to their position? Or does it run a risk of confusing them?

A gentleman in many of my classes is from France. His accent is still quite thick, but I have noticed it clearing. He is also incredibly un-self-conscious (like most Europeans); unfortunately for him, this means he does not seem to care that he hunches over almost double when sitting/standing/walking, that his general facial expression is one of mental slowness, and that all in all his demeanor is . . . well, I don't know, actually. I hasten to say that I mean none of this as derogatory towards him, but I notice it all the same. I guess one of the things I'm trying to say is that I don't think he would make a good trial attorney. Like I'd know, right? But the jury listens to a lot more than just testimony.

In contrast, I also have many classes with a Jamaican girl. She always stands up very straight, looks at you clearly/directly, and this makes her accent (which is gorgeous and I mean gorgeous) drive a stake right through you, communicate directly to your brain, you can't help but pay attention to every single beautiful word she says. I think she would kick total ass in court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home