Thursday, October 12, 2006

Nervous?

One of my professors gels his hair. It actually looks really nice, but in a sort of complicated way. He lifts it up on his forehead, where it sort of forms a large curl, and then he smoothes back the side. Looks like something from the 40s.






Anyway, he kept fiddling with it last class. Making sure it was brushed back. Flipping it. Now to be fair he only did it a few times, but even once sends alarms ringing in mah head. It meant that he was scared it didn't look right. He was worried. Enough to mess with it during lecture, in full view of 50 students. So he was worried he would look - not stupid or ugly, because I don't think men think like that - but . . . less than how he wanted, which also means that natural is less than how he wants. Whatever, I'm confusing even myself.

So I started looking at him, and it's true - if he didn't style his hair all up in some gel, it would hang down in his face like a bowl cut or something. I wonder if he would be hesitant to go swimming with friends, or at picnic-thingies, or if he would ride in a convertible with the top down. What about it when it rains? What would he do? I'm tempted to think he'd care, else why fiddle faddle with your high-maintenance hair?

I just find it so interesting when people openly display their self-consciousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home