Sunday, October 22, 2006

Life as a PD?

I think there's something about the mechanics and nature of being a PD - some existing commonality - that all PDs seem to recognize, accept, and love. This is very interesting to me. Reading through the PD blogs, I'm reminded of certain soldier blogs, writings from people who share similarly difficult experiences, but who would never do anything different. Who love what they do. Who constantly get put through the wringer but, because they feel they work for a higher purpose, a greater good, see the hardship as simply part of the landscape. (well, at least upon reflection, anyway.)

For instance, when I asked "What would you do differently?" I received three responses that I think are pretty indicative of PDs in general (if not, please let me know!).

acs said, “I don't think I'd do anything over”; ruth said, “How would I do it differently? I wouldn't, really. I love what I do, but nothing really trains you for it.” And audacity simply says, “I would not have given my clients my direct line. Bad idea.”

And when I asked, “What do you wish you knew when you started?” acs answered, “Hmm, after pondering for quite sometime, I don't think that there's anything I wished that I had known.” Ruth said similarly: “See above!” And audacity, of course, answers with “[T]he entire Georgia Code and all the caselaw that went with it. That’s really the only things that would have made my life easier at the beginning.”

Now, reading what I have of the blogs out there, this seems to be common sentiment. As someone who’s struggled with many different jobs in many different fields before a) deciding on law school and then b) deciding on being a public defender when I graduate, I find this commonality extraordinary. I mean, ask any number of office drones these questions, and you’ll get the same number of different, desperate answers. Ask any number of attorneys and the difference might be lower, but it will still be the norm.

I like to think that all this points to public defense as being kindof like a “craft,” or a very selective trade. It has its own nature, and it’s one you’re going to have to figure out on your own: as ruth says, “nothing really trains you for it.” Not everyone can abide by it. It’s going to make you walk through certain common fires - every single one transforming you, tempering you. And, looking back, there’s nothing you would change.

Acs: “I wouldn't do my job if I didn't love it”
Ruth: “I love what I do”
Audacity: “As much as I sometimes complain about my job, I really do love it.”

This is so incredibly, extraordinarily, and wonderfully rare. When I graduate and (fingers crossed) begin work as a PD, I’m certain I will have reason to express myself similarly.

Thank you for sharing it with me. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger 123txpublicdefender123 said...

I would caution you against generalizing about public defenders based on how public defenders who blog about it respond to your questions. I am a PD blogger, and I feel pretty much the same way as those you have mentioned, but there is certainly a spectrum of opinion. In my old office, there was definitely a percentage that were doing their job not because they loved it, but because it was the best job for them for various practical reasons. They were a minority, to be sure, but they were definitely there.

Based on what I've read here, though, you sound like you're headed into the right profession. We need people who want to be public defenders because they believe in the importance of what we do and love doing it!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good point.

The PDs who don't love their jobs (and there's many) generally don't blog about it.

6:41 PM  
Blogger i heart public defense said...

I agree; I think it's the same with everything. I'm actually reading Con Law right now (which I luuurrrrvvvvveee for some reason), and caught this sentence, which with some substituted words probably covers the spectrum of sentiment:

"Some of the members of Congress and the State legilatures strongly believed that the Privileges or Immunities Clause included the Bill of Rights; some definitely didn't think so; and many probably didn't even consider the question."

OMG don't you miss law school?!! :)

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home